Friday, March 12, 2010

Technology in Education

This speech was brought to my attention via my productive evesdropping (as termed by a teacher in my social network). Though I did not hear the speech personally, I do hear the voice in the speech. It is a familiar one to those in the technology industry. The message is a familiar to me, I have even spoke about it. My perspective may be different then those who teach in other disiplines. Technology is intertwined in all of our lives personal and professional. I pose questions the around this topic. Are the goals realistic? Is the information that is brought here realistic? What ways can we move forward to reach your technology goals? I know those are very broad questions. Feel free to comment on any component of this mornings topic.
Thank you
Kay

4 comments:

Chris said...

Are the goals realistic? Maybe, but they are the wrong goals. 21st century skills are not what most people think they are. They are not "tech" skills, they are creativity and thinking skills.

Is the information that is brought here realistic? Maybe, but it goes against itself over and over again. They way they plan to achieve the goals goes directly against the goals. Achieve creative student by testing against standards? Right.

What ways can we move forward to reach your technology goals? Let go of content. Teach thinking. Use projects, not assignments. Be driven by students - not schedules, not content standards, not "look-fors", not grades, not report cards, you get the idea.

Mrs. Bolerjack said...

Thanks for your feedback Chris. How do we get there from here? What steps can we take in a society that wants data to be accountalbe for results?

Mrs. Springston said...

Hi East Colleagues,

There is a lot that I agree with in this article:

1) Allowing every child access to a good education and whatever they need to be successful.
2) "Tight on goals, loose on how you get there." In my opinion, we absolutely have to have standards ("goals and outcomes") set for what we need the students to learn. That's how we are accountable. By being "loose", it allows the teacher to utilize their expertise to help the students achieve the standard.
3) Rewarding growth and gain, not simply high test scores.
4) Technology implementation. There are some great ideas offered.

Concerns/Things to Consider:
1) $$$$$$$$$$$$ Yes, they are doing Race to the Top, but how do we ensure that a school like ours gets the funding they need? How do we compete with the schools that raise thousands and thousands of dollars through auctions, donations from parents, etc. Ed tech funding is discussed in the article...with as much money that is being cut from our district right now...we shall see.
2) It all sounds so perfect and wonderful doesn't it? But it is always try this, try that, now how about this, or what about that...so I take this all with a grain of salt. There will never be a perfect answer...but we keep pushing, doing our very best, and like Greg said, we must believe in our students every single day.

That is all I will say for now!

Thanks,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some eхtrеmelу valid poіnts!
I appгeciаte you wгitіng thiѕ post and the rest
of the sitе is аlso really good.


Αlso vіѕit my website; ma huang products